Alhaji
Mujahid Dokubo-Asari, the former President of Ijaw Youth Council (IYC)
and leader of the Niger Delta Peoples Volunteer Force (NDPVF), was
arrested on Tuesday in Benin Republic, November 26, and was released two
days later.
He
has opened up on his detainment, accusing those who oppose to the
second term ambition of President Goodluck Jonathan of masterminding his
arrest.
Mr.
Dokubo-Asari arrived at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport,
Abuja, on Friday night. He said he was arrested and interrogated by
Benin officials over an allegation from Nigeria that he is a leader of
Boko Haram
.
Addressing
the press at the airport, he denied allegations of Jonathan sending a
presidential jet to fly him back to Nigeria from Benin Republic.
Covering the issue of his arrest, he had this to say:
"Crisis
is normal, it can also happen here in Nigeria, it can happen anywhere
in the world. The people and government of Republic of Benin have no
problem with me.
"But if people alleged that somebody is a leader of Boko Haram, the government of that country will investigate the person.
"The allegation has much to do
with 2015 because when you read comments on social media, you find out
that people who are against President Goodluck Jonathan said they should
vilify me, and make sure I die before 2015.
"But they are not going to
succeed. I am not going to die. I will be present in 2015, and I will do
what I am going to do to ensure that Jonathan wins in 2015. There is
nothing they can do about it. This is their last fight and it is so
unfortunate that the way they are going with show how immature they are.
"I just arrived from Cotonou. I
drove in my car from Cotonou to Lagos airport where I boarded a flight
to Abuja. The report is not true. No presidential jet was sent to me.
"I do business in Cotonou, and I
have been living in Cotonou since 2008. Politically, people who are in
Nigeria are trying to fabricate lies, which are not variable, and send
it to Republic of Benin government. So I was taken for interrogation and
they found that the allegations were false, and I was promptly released
with over 20 of my staff who were also taken in."
Every cloud has a silver lining,
however, as Mr. Dokubo-Asari has had an opportunity to meet the
officials of Benin after his interrogation.
"I have met with the top and
powerful people in Republic of Benin. Since I went to that country, I
have never had any reason to meet with their government officials, but
this crisis has made it possible for me to meet with all top government
functionaries of the Republic of Benin. The crisis has raised my profile
in that country."
Describing his release, he said:
"It is not just only President
Jonathan that intervened, Nigerians generally intervened. The number of
people that came into Cotonou the day I was taken in, and the following
day, were over one thousand."
No comments:
Post a Comment